Skip to main content

completed: Alabama Chanin DIY Verd Unisex Shirt

It's done!


Bit of a windy day. Obligatory looking-into-the-distance-with-hat picture:

My posture is terrible, I know.

This is Alabama Chanin's DIY Verd Unisex T-shirt kit in size large which my awesome husband gifted me for Christmas. I fell in love with the design as soon as I saw it on their website, and visited that page an embarrassing number of times over several months. When my husband said, "What do you want for Christmas?"  and told me to update my Amazon wish list, I put it up, then took it down, put it up, took it down, put it up, took it down....because it was expensive and definitely fell under the Big Present category for us.

Finally I took it down. But by then, he'd already seen it and ordered it. He's the best.

So! Here's what you need to know if you're interested in ordering this kit:



1. It's worth the price. The pieces are perfectly -- and I mean perfectly -- cut and stenciled, no mean feat given the placement of the large stencil next to the small. (For what it's worth, I think Natalie's experiments with scale are so interesting.) The shirt I got looked exactly like the shirt on the site.


2. The finished shirt feels incredibly sturdy, like it'll last years and years. It's also soft and comfortable and fairly heavy -- it feels like a lightweight sweatshirt when it's on.

3. It's a relatively quick sew for an AC project; it look me two months but could have taken much less, if I hadn't worked on it in and around other projects. I basically outlined the small leaves with the Brunette embroidery floss, reverse appliqued three of the larger leaves, and then constructed the shirt. I think it would also look cute without the reverse applique or any embellishment, constructed as is.

For what it's worth, I don't think you can do outside reverse applique on the large leaves (= cutting away all of the paint), because they're placed so close to the small ones. (See photo above.)

Also, cutting away the top fabric on the large leaves is SO SCARY. It's like, for a smaller-sized stencil, if you screw up one shape, it's no big deal, but if you screw up a huge one...well. Whoops.

The inside:


Close up:



I ddi two rows of straight stitches at the shoulder, sleeves, and sides (second row right next to the first row) to make sure everything was totally secure.

OK, call them my not-so-straight stitches.
4. The instructions are minimal (it's basically AC's standard one-sheet for all projects, so just includes info on loving your thread, knotting off, basic stitches, order of construction, and binding). It's meant to just be a reference sheet, and it recommends using an AC book. I think that's probably a good idea.

5. I was also really confused by their Cretan stitch diagram (but I'm terrible with diagrams most of the time, so that's no surprise) and wound up using this tutorial instead.

(I'm not completely thrilled with the way my Cretan stitch came out, but it looks relatively even across the neckband, so I guess I'll keep it.)

6. I had a really hard time distinguishing the large leaves, which were spray-painted black, from the black fabric. (Easy to see from far away, but harder close up, if that makes any sense.) I wound up chalking around the shapes and using a task light (this $5 task light from IKEA, which plugs into any USB port, is basically the best thing ever), and that helped a lot.

7. Sewing on the little Alabama Chanin label at the end is SO SATISFYING.


I kind of loved everything about this project. It was fun. And I really love the finished shirt and plan on wearing it for years and years.

I'm also pretty well sold on their DIY kits now too. Already saving my pennies and nickels and dimes for the next one. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alabama Chanin Factory Dress, and an update

Right! So I've been thinking lately about making three "uniform dresses" with pockets in Alabama Chanin cotton jersey that can be worn by themselves or over t-shirts and leggings, under cardigans, etc. And then I got this new "accessory" in May (which I'll explain in a sec) and couldn't get a red dress out of my head. To match, sort of—even though I hate it—but also, I love red and for some reason have none of it in my closet. So anyway, here's the first Factory Dress! It's single-layer medium-weight cotton jersey in Carmine, in a straight size medium, with hand-stitched seams (although I machine-stitched Eloflex within the SA afterward for extra stability). I used the punch cards from The Geometry of Hand-Sewing for the Cretan stitch around the neckline and armholes, which worked out great.  Bad closeup of neckline: This was a really enjoyable make—I had fun with the combination of machine and hand-stitching. I might k

complete: Nani Iro pocket dress

I made a dress! With the new sewing machine! Wheee! And not to bury the lede, but: We went to Japan for two weeks, and I completely fell in love with the clothing—especially Nani IRO and their amazing fabrics. I'm hooked. We tracked down the atelier in Osaka. ( Here's my review on PR .) They wouldn't let me take photos of the shop but said it was OK to take pictures of the fabrics. Lots of linen, cotton gauze and sateen in bright colors, as well as buttons and notions, an archive (I wasn't sure if it was possible to buy any of the archived fabrics), and jewelry. I bought some lovely blue linen with an asymmetrical print: And the book—the English translation had just been released. And it was signed! (I have a picture, can't seem to post it, sry.) So anyway. I couldn't stop reading the book—you know when you get really really obsessed with a pattern book? Like that. As soon as I got home, I decided to try out the pocket dress. Here'

a trip to Alabama Chanin

 Hi there. It's been a while. Didn't mean to go on mute, but some things happened over the last year or two. Anyway! I finally paid Alabama Chanin a visit. I've wanted to go for years, and finally reached out to them to sign up for a Studio Day and embroidery workshop while I was sitting in a high school gym in Lynn recovering from my first Covid shot. Definitely a bucket-list thing. I would have signed up for their three-day workshop in May, but it happened to coincide with the date of my second shot. :( It was a bit nerve-wracking -- only my second trip since 2019, going to a new place and all that. I went with a friend from my stitching group, and we'd never traveled together before.  We had a great time, though. It was an amazing three days! We landed in Nashville on a Wednesday, drove straight to AC, and spent the rest of the afternoon looking around and trying stuff on. Thursday was our Studio Day, where they let you focus on whatever you want. We toured the facto