Skip to main content

complete: Nani Iro pocket dress

I made a dress! With the new sewing machine! Wheee!

And not to bury the lede, but: We went to Japan for two weeks, and I completely fell in love with the clothing—especially Nani IRO and their amazing fabrics. I'm hooked.

We tracked down the atelier in Osaka. (Here's my review on PR.) They wouldn't let me take photos of the shop but said it was OK to take pictures of the fabrics. Lots of linen, cotton gauze and sateen in bright colors, as well as buttons and notions, an archive (I wasn't sure if it was possible to buy any of the archived fabrics), and jewelry.

I bought some lovely blue linen with an asymmetrical print:

And the book—the English translation had just been released. And it was signed! (I have a picture, can't seem to post it, sry.)

So anyway. I couldn't stop reading the book—you know when you get really really obsessed with a pattern book? Like that. As soon as I got home, I decided to try out the pocket dress.

Here's the line drawing:

It's pretty ingenious—just front and back pieces, and the front piece is pleated and topstitched in 3 places to form pockets. Here's the dress photo from the book.

It's pretty oversized (lots of Japanese dresses are, I found), but you can add optional buttonholes to the back to take out some of the ease.

I'm not sure if the finished dress works for my body type. This is a size XS-S, believe it or not.

Hand in pocket:

I don't smile:

I wore it to the Willows the other night, and it sure felt good in the 92-degree heat wave.

Not sure I quite have the hang of construction yet, and in the next version, I might shorten it even more (I shortened it by 1 inch here, and moved the slits up) and add those buttonholes. A couple of things I should mention:

1) Tracing is tricky, because the bottom pieces for both the front and back pattern pieces are nested within the top pieces, if that makes any sense. Just make sure the circles line up.

2) It's a pretty simple-looking pattern, but lining everything up (pleats, topstitching, pockets) is HARD. You know that saying: Measure twice, cut once? I measured, and measured, and measured again, and then measured a couple more times, and I feel like some sections are still off a bit. It didn't help that the linen was super-shifty and frayed a lot, and that the shoulder pleats and pocket pleats don't quite line up with each other. I had to redo the topstitching above the pockets after the dress was assembled, because for some reason, I got this weird 3D gap. I pulled them out, pressed everything flat, and then restitched.

When I make this up again, I'm going to tweak the order of construction on the front piece. The instructions in the book say to pleat and sew the pockets first, but I'm wondering if it would make more sense to sew the shoulder pleats, then the top of the pockets, then press to make sure you have an even line, and then sew the pocket bottoms.

So, in conclusion: I'm not totally 100% on board with this version, but the pattern is so, so cool and I want to give it another shot. Looking forward to making up more patterns from the book too.


  1. Each & every tips of your post are awesome.

  2. Wow. Love your step by step pictorials! Awesome job. Thanks. Try to check this too
    Types of Insectst


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alabama Chanin Factory Dress, and an update

Right! So I've been thinking lately about making three "uniform dresses" with pockets in Alabama Chanin cotton jersey that can be worn by themselves or over t-shirts and leggings, under cardigans, etc. And then I got this new "accessory" in May (which I'll explain in a sec) and couldn't get a red dress out of my head. To match, sort of—even though I hate it—but also, I love red and for some reason have none of it in my closet. So anyway, here's the first Factory Dress! It's single-layer medium-weight cotton jersey in Carmine, in a straight size medium, with hand-stitched seams (although I machine-stitched Eloflex within the SA afterward for extra stability). I used the punch cards from The Geometry of Hand-Sewing for the Cretan stitch around the neckline and armholes, which worked out great.  Bad closeup of neckline: This was a really enjoyable make—I had fun with the combination of machine and hand-stitching. I might k

a trip to Alabama Chanin

 Hi there. It's been a while. Didn't mean to go on mute, but some things happened over the last year or two. Anyway! I finally paid Alabama Chanin a visit. I've wanted to go for years, and finally reached out to them to sign up for a Studio Day and embroidery workshop while I was sitting in a high school gym in Lynn recovering from my first Covid shot. Definitely a bucket-list thing. I would have signed up for their three-day workshop in May, but it happened to coincide with the date of my second shot. :( It was a bit nerve-wracking -- only my second trip since 2019, going to a new place and all that. I went with a friend from my stitching group, and we'd never traveled together before.  We had a great time, though. It was an amazing three days! We landed in Nashville on a Wednesday, drove straight to AC, and spent the rest of the afternoon looking around and trying stuff on. Thursday was our Studio Day, where they let you focus on whatever you want. We toured the facto