Skip to main content

I'm back

I've been sewing -- just not clothes. (Lately: holiday gifts, mostly totes.) BUT I wanted to post this, because I'm kind of in love with this project, and the book it came from.

Mini-doggie!


It's from Microcrafts, which is mostly about hand-sewing teeny-tiny itty-bitty cute things: monster babies, cats, dogs, owls, you name it. I picked it up on impulse from the library and renewed it until they wouldn't let me renew it anymore, and I'm ashamed to say it's currently two weeks overdue. Whoops. My friend Liz, who was visiting at the time, squeed like crazy over the tiny dog, so I decided to make it and a couple of dog-cessories for her for Christmas.

And then I spent a bunch of weeks making repeat trips to Michael's and picking out different colors of felt and generally putting things off. I don't exactly have amazing hand-sewing skills, as you can probably tell, and the thing about the dog is that you have to use a whipstitch. Visible stitches. EEK.

I made an experimental first dog with heavy white quilting thread, which turned out to be way too heavy. I used all-purpose thread for the second dog and tried to make the whipstitches as tiny as possible. It's still not as pretty as the one in the book, so I guess I'll have to just keep making them until they're perfect. (Ahem.)

But I sent this one off to Liz. I miss him already. I need an army of mini-dogs for my cubicle, and the kitchen windowsill, and the top of the cabinet...

Pattern Description:

Microcrafts --  mini stuffed dog, bowl, and bone


Pattern Sizing: 

Tiny! Eee!

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

More or less, I guess

Were the instructions easy to follow? 

Mostly, but the author's written instructions weren't always clear. For example, she doesn't always specify the type of stitches you need, and the bone instructions just said to fold the piece of felt in half, but didn't specify which way. It's not hard to figure things out from the photos, though.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 

The end result. Squee!

Also, it's pretty instant gratification -- it only takes a couple of hours to finish one of these guys. Probably less, if you're a fast hand-sewer.


Fabric Used:  

Felt from Michael's (29 cents a sheet!)


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: 

I used No-Sew glue to attach the spots, the nose, and the tail. (The book says to whipstitch them, but I tried and it looked pretty awful.) I used a toothpick to add black fabric paint for the eyes, instead of embroidering them on.

The book tells you to embroider an upside-down Y for the mouth, but I didn't see a mouth on the dog in the photo, oddly enough. I left it out.

For the bowl, I had a hard time figuring out the written instructions. I wound up whipstitching the bottom to the side, sewing the short side, and then flipping the top down.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? 
Oh yeah, I'm already planning more. I'd like to make a kitty, too -- maybe a mini-version of Harley, my intrepid sewing assistant.

Conclusion: 
Squeepants.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alabama Chanin Factory Dress, and an update

Right! So I've been thinking lately about making three "uniform dresses" with pockets in Alabama Chanin cotton jersey that can be worn by themselves or over t-shirts and leggings, under cardigans, etc. And then I got this new "accessory" in May (which I'll explain in a sec) and couldn't get a red dress out of my head. To match, sort of—even though I hate it—but also, I love red and for some reason have none of it in my closet. So anyway, here's the first Factory Dress! It's single-layer medium-weight cotton jersey in Carmine, in a straight size medium, with hand-stitched seams (although I machine-stitched Eloflex within the SA afterward for extra stability). I used the punch cards from The Geometry of Hand-Sewing for the Cretan stitch around the neckline and armholes, which worked out great.  Bad closeup of neckline: This was a really enjoyable make—I had fun with the combination of machine and hand-stitching. I might k

complete: Nani Iro pocket dress

I made a dress! With the new sewing machine! Wheee! And not to bury the lede, but: We went to Japan for two weeks, and I completely fell in love with the clothing—especially Nani IRO and their amazing fabrics. I'm hooked. We tracked down the atelier in Osaka. ( Here's my review on PR .) They wouldn't let me take photos of the shop but said it was OK to take pictures of the fabrics. Lots of linen, cotton gauze and sateen in bright colors, as well as buttons and notions, an archive (I wasn't sure if it was possible to buy any of the archived fabrics), and jewelry. I bought some lovely blue linen with an asymmetrical print: And the book—the English translation had just been released. And it was signed! (I have a picture, can't seem to post it, sry.) So anyway. I couldn't stop reading the book—you know when you get really really obsessed with a pattern book? Like that. As soon as I got home, I decided to try out the pocket dress. Here'

a trip to Alabama Chanin

 Hi there. It's been a while. Didn't mean to go on mute, but some things happened over the last year or two. Anyway! I finally paid Alabama Chanin a visit. I've wanted to go for years, and finally reached out to them to sign up for a Studio Day and embroidery workshop while I was sitting in a high school gym in Lynn recovering from my first Covid shot. Definitely a bucket-list thing. I would have signed up for their three-day workshop in May, but it happened to coincide with the date of my second shot. :( It was a bit nerve-wracking -- only my second trip since 2019, going to a new place and all that. I went with a friend from my stitching group, and we'd never traveled together before.  We had a great time, though. It was an amazing three days! We landed in Nashville on a Wednesday, drove straight to AC, and spent the rest of the afternoon looking around and trying stuff on. Thursday was our Studio Day, where they let you focus on whatever you want. We toured the facto