Skip to main content

...and receiving (sewing-related presents)

You guys, I about fell over when I opened this:


It's Alabama Chanin's DIY Verd Unisex Shirt Kit, which I've been eyeing for months. MONTHS. Thank you, awesome husband.

I AM SO EXCITED.

Here's what it should look like eventually:


I'm halfway through embellishing the top:


That's the back; I decided to outline the leaf shapes with the (included) Brunette embroidery thread for a quilted effect, although I think it'd be neat just to construct the shirt as is with no embellishment. If I want to make the shirt I fell in love with, though, I'm going to have to reverse applique the bottom part eventually -- which means cutting out a few of the beautiful, perfectly stenciled black sections before construction. Scary. Gotta be done, though.

The front so far:



AUUUGHHHH I LOVE THIS KIT SO MUCH.

You know what I especially love? The wooden embroidery floss spool.




Wooden thread spools make me so happy. I always pounce on them at yard sales. IN YOUR FACE, PLASTIC.

I'll post a full review when it's done, but in the meantime: YAY YAY YAY. Is all.

One more thing: My excellent sister-in-law gave me Yoshi's Woolly World for Christmas. I'm a Nintendo-holic and grew up on side-scrollers, so it's pretty fantastic. But BONUS: Everything in it is made of yarn or sweater knit, including Yoshi.

Bad shot from my TV.

See the knitting needles? And the sweater knit for the lava? SO CUTES.


So anyway, I'm dying at the gorgeousness of this game, and also cursing a lot, because it's challenging. Just because it's happy doesn't mean it's not hard.

That is all. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

completed: Alabama Chanin fitted dress

Yeah, I can't believe I'm saying that either! It's going to be a long post, so here we go. Design choices Size and alterations:  Straight size medium, with neckline raised a few inches and made into a scoop neck; the original v-neck is really deep Fabric and thread:   Alabama Chanin medium-weight cotton jersey  — top layer in Sand, bottom layer in Dark Grey (only Dark Grey is currently available on their site) — and red craft/button thread Stencil: Anna's Garden Paint:  Tulip fabric paint in Black, watered down and applied with an airbrush Embellishment:  Outside reverse applique -- in which you stitch slightly outside each shape and then cut out the shape exactly on the lines Stitch type:  Straight stitch for outlining and construction, Cretan stitch for binding Here's how it looks on me: Hanging up: I picked the color scheme after seeing it in a sample book at the  two-hour workshop in New York  last year. (Hig...

complete: Nani Iro pocket dress

I made a dress! With the new sewing machine! Wheee! And not to bury the lede, but: We went to Japan for two weeks, and I completely fell in love with the clothing—especially Nani IRO and their amazing fabrics. I'm hooked. We tracked down the atelier in Osaka. ( Here's my review on PR .) They wouldn't let me take photos of the shop but said it was OK to take pictures of the fabrics. Lots of linen, cotton gauze and sateen in bright colors, as well as buttons and notions, an archive (I wasn't sure if it was possible to buy any of the archived fabrics), and jewelry. I bought some lovely blue linen with an asymmetrical print: And the book—the English translation had just been released. And it was signed! (I have a picture, can't seem to post it, sry.) So anyway. I couldn't stop reading the book—you know when you get really really obsessed with a pattern book? Like that. As soon as I got home, I decided to try out the pocket dress. Here'...

see my vest

One of my New Year's resolutions (and yes, it's already the end of February, I know, I know) was to try to make practical and interesting office clothes. By "interesting," I mean clothes that don't make me want to stab my eyes out with a rusty fork. Because if I have to wear one more pair of polyester black pants and black cardigan... Anyway. I saw this on the cover of Drape Drape 2: I wish the Drape Drape models would wear pants occasionally. and went HOLY PRACTICAL THING, BATMAN. A vest/scarf combo (it's cold here) with deep pockets, to throw over office dresses? HELL YES. (I somehow keep buying office dresses that don't have any pockets. Which is a problem, when you have to clip a keycard somewhere because you're running up and down stairs delivering stuff to clients. I'm just saying.) Here's my version.   I suppose it's hard to see in this photo, but it's over a Standard Black Pocketless Office Dress and my favor...